Stepping Stone 3
1. From the information presented in the peace medal (Document A), write a brief description of relations between Native Americans and the United States government in the mid-nineteenth century.
2. What purpose did the United States government hope the peace medals would serve?
3. How did Native Americans and the United States government differ on the meaning of the peace medals?
4. How does the address to the Dakota warriors at Mankato challenge the peace medal's image of relations between the United States and Native Americans (Document A)?
5. Having read all the documents, how would you modify the description that you constructed in Question 1?