search primary sources
Teaching with Primary Sources
Sign up for our email newsletter
Rubric and Scoring Guide
Rubric and Scoring Guide DBQ
(adapted from AP Rubric)
1. Contains a clear, well-developed thesis, which includes the social, economic, and political impact.
2. Supports thesis with relevant information.
3. Uses most of the documents effectively.
4. Understands the complexity of the question.
5. Analyzes more than describes.
6. May contain insignificant errors.
1. Contains a clear thesis that discusses only two of the three kinds of impact.
2. Uses some factual information.
3. Uses some of the documents.
4. Does not show understanding of the complexity of the question.
5. Contains limited analysis, mostly describes.
6. May contain minor errors.
1. Lacks a thesis, simply restates the question.
2. Lacks supporting information or contains only superficial support.
3. Quotes or briefly cites document.
4. Contains no analysis.
5. May contain major errors.
1. Contains incompetent, inappropriate response.
2. May merely paraphrase the question, shows little understanding.
Pre-AP Rubric and Scoring Guide
(+) Add this DBQ to Your Collection
Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies
© 2007 Smithsonian Institution
About Smithsonian Source