Washington's Headquarters, 1780
This colored lithograph depicts Washington’s Headquarters in 1780 at Newburgh on
the Hudson. In 1780, the American government began to lay to groundwork for a
new economy. With money borrowed from France and Spain, Congress was able to
redeem Continentals. The bills were then destroyed.
Credit: Washington's Headquarters, 1780, At Newburgh, on the Hudson, by
an unknown artist, after 1876. Smithsonian American Art Museum, gift of Herbert
Waide Hemphill, Jr., and museum purchase made possible by Ralph Cross Johnson