Smithsonian

Howard Johnson’s Motor Lodge Ad

The first Howard Johnson’s was a corner drugstore in Wollaston, Massachusetts, opened by Howard Dearing Johnson in 1925. By 1954, there were four hundred Howard Johnson’s restaurants in thirty-two states. As the Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New Jersey turnpikes were built, Howard Johnson’s bid and won exclusive rights to serve the hungry turnpike multitudes.

Credit: Advertisement from a Howard Johnson’s Restaurant and Motor Lodge, National Museum of American History, Archives.